Writing with Feeling
Harness the Power of Emotion in Your Novel
"When readers feel strongly, their hearts are open. Your stories can not only reach them for a moment, but they can change them forever."
— Donald Maass —
Have you heard this feedback about your novel before?
“Your plot was cool, but your characters seemed one-dimensional.” —Your beta readers
“Your main character isn’t relatable. Try to make them more well-rounded.” —Your critique partner
“Unfortunately, this is not something that is right for me.” —The agents who don’t bother to explain that the lack of emotional depth in your sample pages prevented them from relating to the main character
“Your premise is fascinating, but I’m afraid I didn’t connect with your protagonist enough to offer representation.” —The agents who’ve rejected your manuscript after requesting a full
If you keep hearing this type of feedback, then your writing is missing one critical element: believable emotion that connects your reader to your characters.
In this 5-week course you’ll learn…
- Why getting emotion right is SO crucial for getting your readers (and agents!) to fall in love with your book
- The six tools you can utilize to integrate emotion on the line level,
- My proprietary Emotion Formula to guide you in using your tools effectively,
- How to magnify the power of emotions throughout your novel, and
- So much more! (Scroll down for a detailed course description.)
Soon you’ll start hearing feedback like:
“Wow, I LOVED your protagonist!” —Your future beta readers
“How the hell did you level up your writing so much since our last page exchange?! I actually cried while reading your pages—I’ve only done that for published novels before!” —Your critique partner
And maybe even…
“I’m so pleased to offer you representation for [your book’s title]!” —Your future agent
Praise for Katie's Coaching Expertise
"The Emotion Formula made a substantial change to my writing—that a lot of other people acknowledge as well. Katie is the best thing to happen to my book writing career!"
— Candice W. —
"Katie clearly has the heart for books! She stirred up my excitement to revise my book, which isn't an easy thing to do!"
— Alexis J. —
"Katie took my story and pointed out exactly where I needed to do more thinking and revising, leading me to several big breakthroughs."
— Samantha S. —
"Katie respects your vision as a writer while pushing you to keep honing. I cannot recommend her enough to anyone who is truly looking to develop their story with intention and gain tools as a writer that you will continue to reuse every day."
— Nola S. —
"With Katie's help, I was able to see how my story and characters will improve and come to life in ways that exceeded my expectations."
— Lauren P. —
"Working with Katie, you know immediately that you have a coach who truly cares about your book and making it the very best it can be."
— Ricki H. —
"Katie presented solid, consistent feedback in a clear, understandable way. In doing so, she helped me find the story I really wanted to tell. I now have the confidence and optimism to shape this story into the manuscript I envisioned."
— Lynn H. —
What We Cover in this Course
Section 1: The Basics of Emotion
Getting readers connected with your characters on an emotional level is key to selling books. In this section of the course we'll cover topics like:
- Why an emotional connection between your reader and your protagonist is essential
- The experience your reader actually wants when they pick up your book
- The three things you MUST do in order to write emotion effectively
Section 2: Five Tools for Conveying Emotion
As a writer you're familiar with dialogue, thoughts, and body language as elements of writing craft that can convey information to your reader, but few writers know how to leverage these elements to best emotional effect. This week we'll discuss how to do this effectively with the following five tools:
- Vocal Cues
- Visceral Reactions
- Internal Thoughts
- Body Language
Section 3: The "Forgotten" Tool
Narration gets a bad rap, but it's one of the most powerful tools in a writer's toolkit when it comes to emotion. This week we'll discuss:
- Why "show, don't tell" is terrible advice
- What NOT to do when utilizing narration
- When to use narration instead of action—in other words, when to tell, not show
Section 4: My Flexible Formula for Integrating Character Emotion into Your Writing
Here's where we bring it all together! This week I'll share:
- My 4-part Emotion Formula for integrating character emotion on the line level
- Examples of the Emotion Formula in action
- Detailed checklists for you to use as you practice the formula and apply it to your manuscript
Section 5: Beyond the Line Level
In this final section of the course I give you an exclusive deep-dive look at how emotion works—in people and therefore in characters. We'll explore concepts that will expand your character's emotional depths, such as:
- Emotional range, triggers, amplifiers, and intensity
- The factors that shape(d) your character's emotional self
- Special circumstances that require finessing your own understanding of your character
- Targeted exercises for you to practice applying the concepts—yes, there's homework!
- Opportunities to receive coaching from me in our weekly LIVE group coaching sessions, where I'll answer questions and give feedback on homework submissions
- The Emotion Formula: Quick Reference sheet—perfect to keep near your desk or in your notebook
- Four detailed checklists that guide you in how to continue applying what you learn during pre-writing, as you write, while you revise, and whenever you want some general practice at flexing your emotion-writing muscles
- The Six Tools for Conveying Emotion: Quick Reference so that you have an easy way to remind yourself of the tools in your storytelling toolkit
- A Syllabus for Further Study, in which I list and annotate the resources I most recommend for you to continue honing the craft of writing emotion after the course
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should take this course?
Is this a live course? Or can I work through it on my own timetable?
What level of experience is required?
What is your framework based on?
Do you offer feedback on the coursework?
What's the time commitment?
Is this course accessible?
Does this course include any 1:1 coaching?
When will the live calls be? I'm worried that I won't be able to attend or that I'll have to miss some of them.
Will this course be offered again? The current course dates just don't work for me.
Early-bird price: $325
A $50 savings! Ends 11:59 pm EST on April 1.
Regular price: $375
Registration is now closed, but you can sign up for our waitlist for the next time the course is open.Put me on that list!
About Your Instructor
Hi, I’m Katie, an Author Accelerator certified book coach, editor, and creator of the Writing with Feeling course. I’m passionate about providing research-based strategies to writers that are accessible and packed with valuable content.
My favorite thing about what I do is helping authors transform their manuscripts to better embody their creative vision. I believe in you, your work in progress, and that your best writing is yet to come!